Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Surface Pattern Design with Rachel Taylor

In the past month I have been taking a wonderful ecourse by Rachel Taylor: Surface Pattern Design. I have been learning about all the ingredients for a successful surface pattern.

Initially I have been hoping to be able design my own fabric. But it turns out lampshades, stationary, fabric ... it all starts out the same. You start out with a mark and extrapolate from there. It's been quite inspiring.

Here is a peek to my surface pattern journal - where I collect all of my excercises, photos, and color & pattern inspirations.









The following pattern started out from an assignment to try to doodle using a sewing machine. The blue flowers then inspired me to finish the "picture" by hand stitching the centers and the word "bloom".


Here is a digital moodboard of patterns I currently love. I guess I like flowers and blue and antique finish :)
The above patterns are products of (from left to right, top to bottom):
Pottery Barn, Pottery Barn, Simple Stories, Lily Bee Design,
7 Gypsies, October Afternoon, 7 Gypsies, Simple Stories,
Simple Stories, Bo Bunny Press, Paper Source, Prima marketing.

More to come soon :)

No comments: